Jan 20, 2012

Jellies in real life

So over break I got to go to the aquarium, which is one of my favorite places. There is the special exhibit there called "Jellies." Obviously, I had to see it. I mean come on, my blog is about sea jellies. And I love biology and marine life so it's obvious that I wanted to see it.
      Oh and let me say this. My high school biology teacher liked to remind us that sea jellies are not fish. They are not jellyfish. That is not real. That's just ignorance. I mean that's why I titled by blog appropriately.
So I enter the exhibit and there are moon jellies there.
There was just a tank in the middle of the room that people were gathered around look at all the jellies. And sometimes I have an issue of not keeping my mouth shut. Sometimes I just mutter things that I think I just think and don't say but it turns out I say my thoughts aloud. This is one of those times. There was a mom and her son standing in front of me as we were looking at the jellies. She goes "Look! Look at the fish just floating around in the water." I was so annoyed with incorrect labeling that I mumbled "They aren't fish they're sea jellies."  Apparently I didn't say it quietly enough. The mom then very quickly went "Well they aren't really fish. I'm not really sure what they are exactly." Realizing she corrected herself because of me I was embarrassed and briskly walked around to the other side of the tank and hid by the wall until the family continued further into the exhibit.

Lesson learned: my lack of discretion can cause awkward and entertaining moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment