Feb 23, 2013

Stranger conversations 1

I was out the other  night with a few friends and on the way home we decided to pick up some McDonald's. I'm a little disgusted with the amount I ate but it was delicious. While I was waiting for my order I had a conversation with a guy there which has now got me thinking. 

Do we thrive on being hit on? I personally don't think so. But our conversation was about different bars on campus and which one was best. We agreed on the ultimate best bar (Harry's) but this is where it got interesting. A few bars have become hotspots for the Greek community to drink at. Being that I'm GDI and do not care to participate in said community (read this) I tend to avoid those bars on certain nights. Also I think their drink specials are just bullshit (I'll post later about this).  This fellow, however, placed one of the bars Brothers at the top of his list. I said how I didn't like going there too often and he started to argue for it. I asked him if he was in a frat or GDI. He looked down at the ground and mumbled he was in a frat. It was rather shameful the way he said it. Almost like he was embarrassed (he's a delta sig for anyone curious). But I said that's why he likes going to Brothers so much. He tried to get me on board with ranking Brothers higher with the dumbest argument.

He said that I should like going there because of the large amount of frat guys to hit on me. I said that is the exact reason I don't like going. He insisted that everyone likes to be flirted with and hit on. And sure to a certain degree people do. But when I'm in a relationship, I rather look to my boyfriend for that attention not drunk strangers in a bar. He countered that by saying ex-girlfriends of his still liked getting all done up and having other guys put their moves on them and he liked it when pretty girls would come up and flirt with him. I think there's a good reason that they're all exes.

The thing is, I don't feel like I'd need a self esteem boost from drunk frat boys hitting on me. Often I just feel dirty. And if you have the looks that guys are literally drooling on you, it won't matter where you are. They are still going to try to talk you up and buy you drinks. So that kind of voided this guy's whole argument. Then my order was ready. This guy tried to convince me to come sit with him and his friends instead of my boyfriend and my friends. Really fratster? Just back off.

It just makes me wonder about how much people wish to be desired. To what extent do people go to achieve that feeling? If you are in a relationship, you shouldn't feel the need to go to bars you know are full of drunks trying to score all the time. You should feel content and confident without that. I don't often suggest going to Brothers because I'd rather not worry about jerks trying to make moves. I don't go out to get hit on, I go out to have fun with my friends.


And here's a funny thing. Last night I was at Brothers meeting up with some people. I was at the bar waiting to get a drink when I saw someone next to me I recognized. We said hello and his friend introduced himself. We chatted a bit while we waited for the bartender and both realized how much we'd rather be at a different bar, preferably one over the river. It's so refreshing to find others who feel the same way. And he didn't even try hitting on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment