Dec 6, 2011

All I want for Christmas is

I know it's just the start of the holiday season but while I'm thinking about this, I might as well share. And specifically I am going to talk about Christmas. I don't really know too much about other religiousness going on around now besides the Jewish people like dreidels and chocolate coins. And something about an oil lamp. I understand how terribly ignorant I am. But I was not raised in that religion and I don't study it so gimme a break.

Now I truly do enjoy the spirit of the season. Everyone seems to be sharing more and is usually in a better mood. There is more uplifting music and old movies on t.v. (specifically on ABCs 25 days of Christmas). Then the weather changes and the temperature drops and threats of a white Christmas begin. And I do love snow for usually 2 months. If there is snow on Christmas, I'm not opposed. And in addition to all that, there are the overly packed and extremely crowded malls.

That is the one thing I've come to dislike about this time of year. The obsession with buying the best present for someone or providing your child with the most expensive gift. There is no such thing as a bad kid on Christmas. It doesn't matter if Santa has a list of naughty and nice. A kid who has been a bully and jerk all year can just start crying to mommy and daddy and guess what, he will get the new MW3 regardless of the fact he is only 9. Isn't that for mature people? Like isn't that the rating? But our culture has become entirely too fixated on material goods and showing off who can get the most extravagant and luxurious gifts. You love someone? Only if you buy him a new car or her a diamond necklace. Think your kid is the bomb? Does she have 7 pairs of Nike Shocks? I guess you don't then.

There is just too much emphasis on gifts and especially Santa Claus. I mean the guy is great to wish Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night and have a big jolly belly and all. But the amount of pressure on every parent of every religion to provide and cave to the Santa Phenomenon is outright ludicrous. The amount of exposure the man gets from the media puts the thought in every kids' head that a man in red suit is sliding down a chimney and delivering the best presents ever. How do parents deal with this? To break the hopes and dreams and hearts of the dear children. Answer: they don't. They cave. I have plenty of friends who are not religious or are not Christian and they celebrate Christmas for the Santa factor. I think this is a little silly that our society has come to this. I mean I am not an overly religious person but I don't understand how little Saint Nick took over the world and has become to mean so much.
                 I get it that is has to do with the season of giving to show you care. But, honestly, I'd rather hang out around a fire with my friends than have them buy me things. Hell, I'm asking my parents for cheap scrubs as a gift. If you really appreciate someone, then you shouldn't be just buying something big for them once or twice a year. Get them something little that you know they like randomly. Like a Yoda marshmallow lollipop. A little surprise is always better than a big expected gift, in my opinion. That is why I always tell my friends not to get me anything and I don't get them anything. Just being able to be together at this time of year is enough for me. Also I'm a broke ass college kid. But instead, we are going to bake cookies together. And that sounds like the best kind of gift: the gift of friendship (sorry to lay that cheesy line on you. I'm simple and I like simple things like friendship).

And two other things that bother me a little is that there don't seem to be new Christmas music hits. Like most people just do their own renditions of classic holiday songs. And Justin Bieber doesn't count because he is a little woman in moon boots. The other thing is that they don't play nearly enough claymation movies. Those old movies are the shit! They are so boss it isn't funny and those are all I watched when I was little. I wish I could live my life in claymation for a day. Our mouths would look fucking hilarious.

Also: Santa baby, come hurry down the chimney tonight is a dirty dirty innuendo. Get it Eartha Kitt.

"God invented men because vibrators can't mow the lawn."

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I'm always rooting for the whole "I don't get you a gift, you don't get me a gift" deal. I would much rather just spend a day together doing something fun than exchanging gifts with friends.

    ReplyDelete