Dec 21, 2011

Yeah, they make that much.

Here is something that really just irks me. And I mean it's something that has bothered me before but as I was getting picked up from the train station I heard a comment on the radio that reminded me of my disapproval.
            Why do pro athletes get to make so much money?

Derrick Rose just signed a 5 year contract with the Bulls for over $94 million. WHAT THE HELL. I mean I get it, they bring in a lot of attention and thus advertisers and sponsors and whatnot. But really. Almost $20 million a year? To play basketball? Then in order to pay these people the price of tickets go up. Slowly, attending sporting events are going to be a privilege if they are not already. Only elite people will be able to afford to go watch their beloved teams play. I know that my family cannot afford decent seats or even crappy seats at different stadiums/arenas for all of us to go.

Crimeney, researchers finding cures for different diseases don't get paid nearly that much. And they help keep us healthy! The most they get to do is fight for a single award in their field that will give them lots of money. But with the amount of scientists doing work in each field, being recognized is highly non-probable. Does anyone know the name of the person or team of people who found the vaccine for small pox? No? Me neither. But I bet they weren't paid nearly enough. Especially considering the amount of vaccines given out so that the general public doesn't have an epidemic. If it was a music artist, each time the song was played they would get paid. Doesn't really work like that for creating a safe and healthy society.

Why aspire to do something meaningful when you can just be in shape and play a sport for a few years, make millions, and retire with a hot body?

"Going to hell when I die would be redundant."

No comments:

Post a Comment