Feb 3, 2012

Call me whatever you want

I go through these phases every couples months. And I feel like there are plenty of other people out there who do the same thing. Ever since I was enrolled in schooled, I've had to correct others on my name. My full name is not Kate, it's Katherine. I have gone by Kate as long as I can remember but every roll call, every first day of class, every application here comes Katherine.

I'm not saying that I don't like the name Katherine at all. I mean I used to when I was younger. When I was in elementary school I used to get teased for it. And Katherine just seemed too proper for me at the time. That's why I always stuck with Kate.

The first time I thought about changing back to my full name was before I was going off to college. I could start over at a new place where no one knew I went by Katherine. I could become professional and not just spunky Kate. But then I never did it. Do I regret it? Nah.

The only problem is when I fill out applications and such things. I always use Katherine when I fill them out and it's on my resume and everything. Even when I email in professional messages. But then after I meet with people, I slowly have to correct them that i actually go by Kate. And then I have to correct them from Katie to Kate. Everyone originally says Katie. No. That is not me. I have never been a Katie ever in my life. I have always been a Kate and sometimes a Katherine.

But now I'm thinking about going back to Katherine again. But I don't know if I can pull it off. I supposed I never will know until I try? I'm just scared of it. Just like I'm scared to go brunette. But maybe I will try out the brown. Then try out the Katherine. Let's see how adventurous I actually am.

No comments:

Post a Comment